Recipes, retaurants, wines, cocktails, and travel

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Seabra Marisqueira

Once and a while you find a restaurant with flavors you haven't experienced before, or it has a setting that is  unique. Seabra Marisqeira hits both those marks! In the ironbound section of Newark about a block off Ferry Street serving true Portugese seafood. I made my second visit there last week and was delighted that I rememebered the place from several years ago.  My friend Dave and I ate at the huge circular bar and we were the only 2 people there who conversed in English. This is Portugese and Brazilian territory and these folks are very proud of their heritage and food.  

 

 

 

 

Local patrons at the bar in Seabras Marisqueira

I started with a Martini and can definitley say it was one of the worst I've had. Too much vermouth and it was served in an eye-cup. Once I got that out of the way we stayed with sangria for the duration, which was as good as any I have had. We split 2 appetizers; the New Zealand Cockels in a superb broth of wine, olive oil, garlic, parsley and cilantro. We soaked the crusty locally baked bread in the light clam broth till it disappeared. One of the owners shared the recipe with us, as it was a slow night due to snowy weather. We also had the Chorizo which was larger in circumference that the standard Newark chorizo. It is char grilled whole with crispy skin then sliced and served. The homemade sausage was even better when dipped in the clam broth mentioned above. Actually you could dip an old diaper in that sauce and it would be good.

For an entre I had the grilled short ribs with garlic glaze, and Dave had a daily special of fried fluke. They were both very good , but the fluke was outstanding. I love flan and their house-made version was tops. They also have very good esspresso, very much European in taste and thickness. The bartender, server, and owner couldn't have been nicer to us. I look forward to going back and sampling more of their menu. I hear this place is packed on weekend nights, and I believe it. Go during the week and sit at the bar. You meet more people and always have more fun at the bar, whether with a friend or your wife. My wife (jerseypammie)  doesn't drink, but will often sit at the bar for the socializing that goes on. You don't meet new people at a corner table. You can see their reasonably priced menu via the web site below.

Seabra marisqueira

87 Madison St
Newark, NJ 07105
(973) 465-1250

http://www.njdiningguide.net/Seabras/index.html

 

1 comment:

  1. Been going here for years, and always sit at the bar. Always.

    Best place to hang in the Ironbound, no doubt.

    Thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words.

    MM

    ReplyDelete