Recipes, retaurants, wines, cocktails, and travel

Friday, January 14, 2011

FIRST BLOG - - - Piast Meats and Rutts Hut

Welcome to my blog. I have followed numerous blogs for years and decided it was time to start my own. I spend a lot of time finding the best ethnic markets, good restaurants, wine shops, and other interesting things I think other people would appreciate.  I spent today in typical Jersey fashion. I went to Piast Meat and Provisions in Garfield for the first time, and was amazed by the crowds and the wonderful products. I was the only one in the store not speaking Polish. A link to their site...  http://www.piast.com/
I bought some fabulous kielbasa and black forest bacon which perfumed my car's interior with a spicy garlic smell on the way back home. There were  many other things in the deli counter that were unknown to me. I need to bring a native Polish person next time I go, so I know what the hell these good things are. I thank my friend "Big Dave" for turning me on to what will no doubt be another regular stop for me.
It was about 11:40 AM when I got out of there and realized I was only a few miles to Rutt's Hut and it was near enough to lunchtime. Of course I had the standard "2 rippers, bowl of all meat chile, well done fries, and a small birch beer."  I like saying the order in one rapid sentence and the Greek guys who own the joint never miss an item. This place is so Jersey! They haven't spent 10 cents fixing up the interior in the last 35 years I've been going there, and I hope they never do. When alone I always order and eat at the lower counter area, with a great assortment of fellow ripper-lovers; truck drivers, executives, and everything in between. While these guys are scarfing their rippers down, some out of town guy will approach the counter and ask for hot dog or chile dog and we will all snicker. They don't sell hot dogs, and God knows they don't sell chile dogs. You want a chile dog, you buy a ripper and a cup (or bowl) of all meat chile, and assemble it yourself. I have been there with the family and we will sit in the "restaurant". They could film a 1955 movie in this room and not have to change a thing. Some of the surly waitresses could easily kick your ass, but they bring the food out fairly quickly. Unfortunately, by the time the ripper makes it to the table it has deflated and isn't as good as when you get it from the counter.

1 comment:

  1. Paulie failed to put a warning on the Old Fashion recipe. Should say exceeding 2 drinks could result in major impairments of speech and memory loss!! Great Blog. Will be making the meatballs for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete