Recipes, retaurants, wines, cocktails, and travel

Friday, January 14, 2011

The "Old Fashion Cocktail"

This cold weather has been getting to me and there is a very nice remedy called the Old Fashion. I wouldn't dream of imbibing in one in the spring or summer (that's vodka season), but on chilly days like today it will warm you to your toes. It's difficult to get a properly made Old Fashion in restaurants or bars, but the following is considered by my friends to be the ideal;
In an old fashion glass put a 1/2 inch thick slice of orange, 2 stemless marachino cherries, 2 teaspoons of cherry juice, one teaspoon of splenda (or 1 1/2 of fine sugar), 3 good dashes of Angastura Bitters (sold in liquor stores), and a dash of seltzer.  With muddler (looks like a little baseball bat) mash the ingredients to a pulp. Fill the glass with ice. Fill to 1 inch from the top with good bourbon (I use Makers Mark). Add seltzer to the top, and mix with a spoon.
The Old Fashion was invented in the south during prohibition and it's original purpose was to hide the taste of the cheap hooch they were drinking. I have used cheap bourbon and it is much better with the good stuff. Enjoy

3 comments:

  1. I'm drooling. Can you come by and make two for us ? D & T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts. men's boots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. mobile cocktail service

    ReplyDelete