Recipes, retaurants, wines, cocktails, and travel

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Perfect Manhattan

 

It was several years ago at a restaurant in New York City, when 3 couples came in from the cold, and half of us ordered Makers Mark Old Fashions. Our waiter was sorry to inform us that they had no oranges, which are a critical component of a properly made O.F.

 My friend Ted seemed just fine enjoying his Makers Mark perfect Manhattan while we debated what to order. I took the plunge and had my first Manhattan cocktail, and I totally enjoyed it.

Flash back to the future and having enjoyed this cocktail for a few years I have tweaked it to my ideal version. Purists may not like it, but I really couldn't give a rat's ass what they think. Here is the recipe I like:


  • Chill a martini glass by filling it with ice water (if you were foolish enough to not have a few glasses in the freezer for cocktail emergencies.)
  • In good size cocktail shaker add ice  2/3 of the way up
  • Add 3-4 ounces of Makers Mark (or another quality Bourbon or whiskey)
  • Add 1/2 ounce dry vermouth
  • Add 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth 
  • Add several healthy dashes of Angostura Bitters
  • Add teaspoon of cherry juice (this is what the purists hate)
  • Shake mixture vigorously 
  • Strain into chilled glass and add cherry (and optional orange peel twist) 

You don't have to use the standard maraschino cherries, although out of convenience, I usually do. When in Vegas, one of my favorite restaurants, Roy's Hawaiian Fusion, makes a killer Manhattan during their "Aloha Hour".  They use Luxardo Italian cherries, which are less sweet and very dark red. I can find them on line, but run $20.00 for a small jar. Maybe I'll treat myself and order one, since winter is almost over and Martini season is around the corner.




1 comment:

  1. I like those Luxardo cherries. Much better than the fake supermarket variety.

    Your ratios are correct. Heavy on the bourbon. Nicely done. Don't be afraid to experiment with orange bitters in this cocktail. And by all means skip that cherry juice. ;)

    ReplyDelete