Recipes, retaurants, wines, cocktails, and travel

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Yummy Asian Ribs

Jersey Paulie was in Vegas last week and I went Roy"s Hawaiian Fusion Restaurant 2 consecutive nights, because I had to have their ribs twice. Roy Namaguchi started in Hawaii many years ago and now has restaurants across the country. Wonderful sushi, fresh fish and even decent steaks. I've been to the Vegas place every year during my annual pilgrimage. I first met the wonderful ribs by ordering the appetizer canoe.

The Vegas canoe has 2 ribs, blackened ahi, shrimp sticks, lobster pot stickers, and a crispy spicy tuna roll. I love an assortment of appetizers, and the flavors really work well on this plate. The second night I returned I had the full portion of ribs, and the canoe and skipped an entree. When I got home, I had to try to recreate these delicious morsels. The waitstaff were helpful in telling me how they are made, and I made some modifications. I am a firm believer in the  "low & slow" cooking method when it comes to ribs. I was ready to buy the baby back ribs at the butcher, but they didn't look very meaty. I noticed some beef short ribs that were cross cut, and they were very nicely marbled and meaty, and decided to try them.  I cut them in pieces about 3" X 3" and generously applied a pork rub on all sides, and then put them in Ziploc for the night. The following day I layed them on a jelly roll pan (like a cookie sheet), and covered the top tightly with aluminum foil. I baked them in a 220 degree oven for 4 hours and removed them. I heated a Hoison Garlic Glaze (I used Soy Vay brand) in a small saucepan and dipped each rib piece entirely in the sauce and returned it to the baking pan. Then I baked it at 275 for another 30 minutes, which turned them almost black. I brushed a little more of the warm sauce on top and sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds on top of the sauce.
I usually prefer pork over beef, but the intense meaty flavor of short ribs was the perfect compliment to the sweet garlic taste of the sauce. Needless to say, my guests enoyed them.

Roy's pork ribs
I learned that there was a Roy's Hawaiin resaurant in N.Y.C., but it has since closed. The closest one to Jersey is Baltimore, and I plan to visit there soon, but at least I can make the ribs at home, and maybe try some new things on the menu when I get Baltimore.
Roy's Hawaiin Restaurant
620 East Flamingo Road
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.roysrestaurant.com/index.asp

2 comments:

  1. The Roy's in NYC was downtown. Must have closed in the mid 00's, because I remember going there in about 2004 or so.

    Going to Hawaii soon. Would you recommend going to Roy's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by T.E.
    I would definitely try the Hawaiian location(s). They have an amazing happy hour in Vegas with drinks, wines, and appetizers, all at $5.00. See following link:
    http://www.roysrestaurant.com/cuisine/pdf/alohahour/Aloha_Hour_Menu.pdf
    The other meorable item is the macadamia crusted Mahi Mahi with lobster butter sacuce. One of the best fish entrees I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete